Friday, April 6, 2012

Virus Woes and the Enterprise E

So today (right now actually) I am formatting and freshly installing the operating system on our server hardware because of a nasty little virus. Typically with a virus I can identify it online by its activities, but this one seemed to be too unusual a case to be identified so.

What it did was close off a section of my hard drive, a folder in my main OS directory actually, and hide it from view. When I say hide, I mean it was hidden in all ways - I could not see it with hidden folders being shown, I could not see it with hard drive scanning software (made for recovering lost files and such). As far as I was concerned this folder was literally nonexistant.... except that it was slowly but surely filling up my hard drive to the brim.

That is, actually, how I found it in the first place. The hard drive capped out and I thought "how strange". So I cleared up some extra space (over 20 gigs actually). After that, a few days later, it capped out again. Whaaaat?

It was pretty obvious something was up, so I started looking for the culprit, some program or folder was growing at a pretty quick pace to pull that off, and that meant it had to be quite large by now (at a minimum 20 gigs, right, but probably more).

I was able to identify this nonexistant folder because I could see the size of its contents, and the number of files, but when viewed directly there was simply nothing there. I tried every trick I could think of to open it, but even if I managed to enter a folder that was hidden (by typing its exact name) I was unable to see a single file within that folder anyway and so was stopped again.

I'm not typically forced to do a fresh OS install, but in this case I simply gave up on other solutions because I think at best it would take me longer to clean the system anyway. A fresh OS is quicker! I designed the system to allow easy fresh OS installs anyway. :D

----

On another note: we've been working on the Enterprise E on our server! At present it is only a shell, and one in the process of  being cleaned up, but it may one day get decks just like the Enterprise D.

We're planning on extracting slices of the shell as decks to create by hand in an image editor. The only downside to this side project is, well, there are no blueprints available for the E. That means we'll be working from scratch!

Well not entirely from scratch, really, but the only materials we have are descriptions of the decks contents on various websites and a few side cutaway images of the ship. That gives us a pretty solid place to start, but ultimately there's so much that will need to be done to create these, trial and error with each of its 24 decks until we're satisfied with the quality.

All else aside, we'll probably base a lot of the interior space off the Enterprise D. It seems to me that the design of the ship is close enough that it aught to be a similar style in most respects.

1 comment:

  1. There are Blueprints for the Enterpise E! I think "Strategic Design Deck Plans" have done blueprints of the Enterprise E for all 24 decks in high quality and colour. An example for the quality:
    http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/sd-miranda-nx-1833.php

    Cygnus-X-1 have the blueprints for the Nova-Class, Intrepid-Class, Oberth-Class, Defiant-Class, Constitution-Class(also refit), Miranda-Class, B'Rel-Class and a Class-2-Space-Station. But there are no Sovereign-Blueprints. There exists some in the "real world", but there are no digital copies of it. Since "Strategic Design" doesn't exist anymore, nobody know, how to get some of these physical blueprints of the Sovereign. I and maybe many other have the blueprints listed above in digital form. Everybody is searching for someone, who have the Sovereign-Blueprints in physical form. The demand is great. Maybe you have luck and find someone, who wants to share the Sovereign-Blueprints for the Enterprise-E-Minecraft-Project. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete