Thursday, April 12, 2012

CTO #4 - Hornet Class (or something)

Anyone who frequents the server knows I like to jump around the dozen or so separate projects I have running at any given moment. I also like to start new ones. Recently I was browsing starship blueprints and came upon one I liked a lot. I found it elsewhere but later realized the images were available on Cygnus-x1 as well.

That is the USS Hornet. Well... I don't like the name much (I hate bees and all varieties of hornets and wasps) but I do love the design. Among other things it carries a squadron of small but powerful fighter craft.

So I set to work, stepping briefly away from the standard formula of deck plans in favor of testing my handcrafting ability. It was a long and painful struggle! I think I will take the time to use deck plans in the future.

Here's the progress so far, hull nearly finished and some of the turbolifts set up (mainly the central shafts).


My version is smaller than the measurements listed in the blueprints, but the decking would be ridiculous if I kept the scale exact. I attempted to comfortably adjust it to "realistic" levels and also fit it into minecraft, and as a result this version will end up with an extra deck and a lot of double floored decks (which allows for better ceilings so no harm done really).

I also made the saucer edge a bit taller to accommodate Minecraft's unfriendliness toward shuttle sized vessels. That should allow us to make a bit nicer details for the saucer bay.

No fighters yet, just fine tuning the hull shape before details and interior start to get love.

We're always on the lookout for interesting stuff on the MineTrek server, so please let me know in the comments or elsewhere if you think I should share something in a CTO episode!

All hands brace for impact!

PS - the Ironhour is the name I am using for this ship. It is a name I created back when I played WoW and just seems to me to represent some sort of burst of strength to me. The ship is well suited as a strike craft or patrol vessel, it kinda fits. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment